350g/12oz Odlums Self Raising Flour 300g/11oz Caster Sugar
3 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved)
Good pinch of Shamrock Bread Soda
225ml/8fluid oz Cola
125ml/4fluid oz Milk
2 Eggs (beaten)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Essence
2 tablespoons Cola
1 heaped tablespoons Cocoa (sieved) 200g/9oz Icing Sugar
1. Sieve flour, sugar, cocoa and bread soda into a bowl.
2. Slowly melt butter in saucepan with the cola.
3. In a jug, lightly beat together milk, eggs and vanilla.
4. Add the cola and milk mixtures to the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly but gently.
5. Pour into a greased 24cm/9-10 inch loose base cake tin.
6. Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 1 hour approx. 7. Place tin on a wire tray to cool for about 20 minutes.
1. Put butter, cola and sieved cocoa into a saucepan and slowly melt the butter.
2. Bring to the boil, then add in sieved icing sugar.
3. Beat until smooth, then pour over cake while still warm.
4. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
5. When icing is cold, gently remove from tin.